My Best Friend's Mess

Everything was ruined, my life is officially over, I thought. Wait a second, let me back up. My name is Lucy, and the problem started about two weeks ago when I started planning my Sweet 16 birthday party. I guess it was me and my best friend’s birthday party, too. You see, our mothers are best friends, we’re best friends, and our mothers gave birth to us on the same day. So, of course, we grew up together and became best friends. But, let’s get one thing straight, we are complete and total opposites. I’m extroverted, fun to be around, optimistic, I dress in bright colors, and have major OCD. However, my best friend, Lillian, is introverted, pessimistic, dresses in mostly black, goes with the flow, and is a natural-born leader. We’ve done everything together, birthdays, homework, we’ve even coordinated matching outfits. 

Now that introductions are out of the way, we can finally get on with the story. Lillian and I, Not Lilly, she has made it abundantly clear that she does not want to be called that. Whatever, it’s not like I want to have a nickname for my best friend or anything. *sigh* She’s always made our birthday parties catered to what she wants, not that I’ve minded or anything, I am not a leader. Not even close. But, something about only her getting what she wants brought a grimace to my face. Lately, we haven’t been getting along very well, though. She had the nerve to say that she wanted our birthday party to be emo-themed. She wanted everyone to be clad in black. Not even black and white, just black! I decided that I needed to show my mettle to her, and tell her that I won’t be pushed around anymore and that my feelings matter too. 

When we got to our locker one day, I told her my feelings, and clearly explained why I thought that way. She had the nerve to tell me that I was the one overreacting. Can you believe her?!?! The rest of the day was the same, both of us disagreeing over the smallest things. We usually get the same lunch at school, but that day I wanted a salad, not pizza. Lillian freaked out and ranted about how we always eat the same things, and how are people going to know that we were best friends. But I think I took it too far when I blurted out how maybe we weren’t best friends after all. I only realized after the conversation that I acted in a rather brusque manner. She sent me a text after school saying how we should take a break. I shouldn’t have but I felt a pang in my heart that wasn’t there before. Over the course of the next week, neither of us had said a word to the other. I still wanted my party so I gathered all the stuff I needed for my galaxy-themed party. I set up the stuff in my backyard (our party location) and hoped for the best. Fingers crossed!

When Lillian and I weren’t speaking to each other I got to thinking, we shouldn’t be fighting on our birthdays. We would certainly remember that day for years to come, but not in a good way. It was the morning of our party when I decided that we should make up, apparently, Lillian had the same idea because right as I was getting ready to walk to her house, she knocked on our front door. We talked for a while about our feelings, and how we shouldn’t be fighting. Suddenly, Lillian said the funniest thing, blerp. It’s an inside joke, you wouldn’t get it. We cracked up and finally realized that people change and that both of us would have to be accepting of the other if we wanted to continue being best friends. I suddenly realized something terrible. I have my party set up in the backyard, not ours. I am officially the worst friend ever. 

I rushed to my backyard with Lillian trailing behind me yelling about why I was in such a rush to head somewhere. I got to my backyard and saw the biggest mess of my life. My galaxy-themed party was mixed with emo-themed decorations. Suddenly, everything started falling, the banner was too heavy, the cakes were too tall, and the balloons fell to the ground, landing in food, and on presents. You would think that the colors would make the black look nice, or vice-versa, but it looked like a galaxy threw up. And not in a good way. What the heck happened here, I thought. Lillian must have seen the look of confusion on my face because she started explaining, and suddenly everything made sense. She was saying how she was the one who put the emo decorations back but wanted to leave my decorations in case we made up. Nice thought, I guess. Lillian and I rushed to pick up the fallen decorations and make the party look nice again. After all, it was our Sweet 16, people would remember it forever.     As people started showing up I tried to stall everyone so Lillian would have more time to pick up, but it was unsuccessful. The shocked, and despondent look on everyone’s faces made me feel sadder than I already was. Lillian tried to break the tension by cracking a joke about this terrible situation. Let’s just say that she was unsuccessful. Yeah, that’s a nice way of putting it. Everything was a mess, we barely cleaned anything up in time, and the balloons that we tried to put back up, fell to the ground, yet again. And of course, “standing there in the middle of all that mess was my dear, old friend, with the most peculiar look on her face.”

Summit House-WCS

YWP Instructor

More by Summit House-WCS