Trouble Gift

Preface       
        The floor of the cave felt like ice. It was freezing and rocks were sticking up everywhere. Wearing a t-shirt and shorts I crept on my stomach deeper into the cave. The cold felt like sharp needles sinking into my skin. This was it. I was so close. Fear coursed through my body. What if they found me? Will they kill me? I was shaking so hard I couldn’t move. Even though it was cold, perspiration ran down my back and neck. The cave was dead silent. Every slight movement was a huge risk. The cave had many defense mechanisms if I set one off, I was a goner. Suddenly deep in the cave the sound of nails on chalkboard recoded off the walls. I was so shocked I jumped up hitting my hip on an incredibly sharp rock. I let out a yelp of pain. Grinding my teeth to keep from crying, I looked around in a panic. Gripping my hip, I could feel warm blood seeping through my fingers. Just thinking about it made me feel faint. I had even bigger problems. They knew I was here. A red light started to blink. Brighter and brighter until it was almost blinding. I had to get out. Stumbling forward a flash of pain exploded in my hip sending me tumbling to the ground. Suddenly I heard footsteps pounding on the ground. They were coming for me. I had to run. As I ran I started fading in and out of consciousness. I couldn’t do it. Pain clouded my vision. Strong calloused hands grabbed me from behind and threw me to the ground. Pain erupted all over my body. I let out a screech for holding back had no meaning anymore. Focusing was impossible. I needed to open my eyes, look my enemies in the face. Strength had left my body leaving me unable to do so. Through it all I could barely comprehend the sound of a gun being cocked. There was nothing I could do but lay back and accept death… The last thing I heard was the ear shattering sound of a gun fired at a close distance. Unbearable pain then nothing…..

Whitney

More by Whitney

• Awaiting An Invitation

Tree limbs dance in
    the breeze of baited breath,
    roots threaten to break ground zero.
    time;
    too much
    too little
    only the trees understand 
    me

glass stregthens
    mirrors melt
    clouds converge and darkness reigns
  • By Whitney

Sentenced

I am guilty

The bars which restrain me
    are but my own fault

I am guilty

The lifeless walls
    frozen, unfeeling
    yield no give as I fight to break free

My crimes:
    To want,
    the stars 
  • By Whitney

Only A Memory

The wind
    brushes my cheek, with a kiss. 
    Neck craned, my eyes
    skim the sky in bliss

The scene before me,
    a canvas to interpret,
    I stare, deep within the soul of each star
    this game I refuse to forfeit.