Join us Saturday - Writing on the Roof

“When the mode of the music changes, the walls of the city shake,” Allen Ginsberg, quoting Plato, said of the Beat Poets. And check out this NYT story for inspiration! Join YWP and author Angela Palm for this fun, "shake the walls" workshop on The Beat Poets next Saturday, March 16, 10 am - 11:30 am at the Karma Bird House, on the roof, 47 Maple Street, Burlington! More info and sign up

Angela Palm, author of Riverine: A Memoir from Anywhere but Here, says of this workshop: "We will explore the work of the Beat Poets, who emerged from the literary counterculture of the1950s and included Allen Ginsberg, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, and William S. Burroughs. We’ll learn about the midcentury counterculture Beat Poets and how they shook the city walls of their generation, influenced poetry and music, and impacted decades of American culture. We’ll practice some of their techniques, including Ginsberg’s “first thought, best thought,” Burroughs’ cut ups, and a rejection of traditional meter and form. We’ll write new poems that capture the Beat Generation’s spirit and aim to view life in America in a new way."
Info and sign up!

Event Date: 
Saturday, March 16, 2019