Thanks VSC

Rebecca Valley was the recent recipient of a scholarship for YWP alumni to experience a week-long writing residency at the Vermont Studio Center in Johnson, VT.  Rebecca was a YWP writer from 2006-2012 and is now a graduate student in creative writing at the University of Massachusetts. She loved her week of writing and communing with other artists at VSC, April 29-May 6! This new scholarship opportunity was generously donated by Sarah Judd and Michael Nedell, supporters of YWP and VSC. Thank you Sarah and Michael!

Here's what Rebecca said about her week at VSC: 
It’s hard to overestimate the power of being given an entire week to focus on creative work. It’s a privilege that most people don’t get — that I certainly don’t get most of the year. But beyond just giving me the space and time to focus pretty much solely on my work, I’ve found a beautiful and inspirational community here among fellow Vermont artists. I think sometimes I forget how much creativity is going on so close to home — that I don’t have to drive far to meet people who can inspire me. I get to talk at the dinner table with novelists and art teachers and painters and sculptors. Listening to people talk about their process, their lives, their work, has inspired me to see my own work in new ways — being a writer among visual artists, especially, means thinking differently about the creative process, and being inspired by new approaches to art. I get to walk away from this week not only with the work I’ve done here, but also all these thoughts and methods and ideas percolating in my brain for future projects. I will definitely be coming back!