What a Great Day!
Thursday, Feb. 7, was VERMONT WRITES DAY, a celebration of writing involving thousands of students (and teachers) across the state. A fantastic success! THANK YOU. More than 1,200 posts on vermontwritesday.org (this is just a sampling of what was written; most schools used pencils and paper or a word processor or YWP's digital classroom platform or other sites.) Did your school participate? LET US KNOW in comments below.
Thanks, too, to Jane Lindholm of Vermont Edition (VPR) for her interview with GG (geoff gevalt, ywp director) and take a listen to learn WHOSE 2012 Vermont Writes Day pieces he read ON AIR!!!
WRITING PROMPTS for Vermont Writes Day 2013 (in the order of the number of submissions on vermontwritesday.org:)
- FREESTYLE: General writing on any topic in any genre.
- MOMENT: 'It was a moment I will never forget…' Finish the story.
- ROBOTS: Incorporate this phrase in a story or poem: “But that all changed when the robots came…”
- *FARMING: Share a story about a farm or farmer that you know or an experience you’ve had on a farm and show why farming is important to the future of Vermont.
- *CLIMATE CHANGE: If you could make one change in the world to offset climate change, what would it be? OR: Winning the fight against climate change is not impossible because __________ happened.
*Watch this site for announcements about upcoming writing challenges (with CASH prizes and fame!) on these themes.