Ch...Ch...Cha...Changes. What do you think?

Author tools:
gg's picture

UPDATED Jan. 24, 2014: EGADS! After 7+ years, we have changed the look! After your initial shock, what are your thoughts? Like? Not like? Please comment below or contact us any way you can!

These changes are part of a series aimed at speeding up and cleaning up the site, AND we're about to initiate a couple of cool new features!

Basic BIG changes (other than the look):

• LOG IN TO SEE MORE CONTENT
  • NEW MENTORS -- Check out the Mentor List under Tips
  • You need to navigate via the TOP TOOLBAR and its drop-down menus. 
  • The traditional right sidebar is visible ONLY after you LOG IN and ONLY on the front page.
  • And CHAT is back... for the moment. We are devising a new way to use chat that will help focus conversations around writing, projects and ideas.

We know this takes a bit of adjustment. But again you'll find everything you need at the top.

For highlights of the new setup, click READ MORE.

Highlights:

1. We have eliminated the right sidebar blocks EXCEPT on the front page and even then the old, familiar sidebar is ONLY visible after you log in. So...login!
  2. The focus of navigation in the toolbar at the top, just below the logo, so start using that to get around.
  3. Some more info on changes:
    1. READ will give you quick access to the best work -- Daily Read chosen by staff; Recommended selected by a group of you as well as mentors and staff. Published selects work by Newspaper Prompt with the top items with tan background signifying those that got published. Recent and Comments should be self-explanatory. Writers to Read lists the blogs of the most energetic and intriguing young writers on the site. (These are selected by staff on observation and recommendation of mentors and users.)
    2. PUBLISH is info about getting published with our news media partners, including newspapers, VPR and vtdigger.org
    3. CHALLENGES is where we'll have spontaneous wriitng challenges or special projects. Keep in touch with this as we will be having a lot of ideas (and feel free to make suggestions) coming your way. Small rewards and fame included. Short Writes is a fun section where you can do short writes.
    4. YWP RADIO is just what it sounds like. Check it out. And we'll be doing more with this in the coming months.
    5. TIPS are, well, tips. We will be adding to these (and fixing some of the weird links). There is a lot buried on this site from some famous writers, wonderful teachers and brilliant mentors that we want you to comb when you want to learn more about how to improve the strength of your ability to express yourselves.

FYI, we are in the throes of planning  a complete rebuild of the site. Follow that link if you have some ideas to share. We are talking to some really cool folks across the country who are going to be helping out this new community. But it is key that you are the ones who decide what gets done. We thank all of you who've so far volunteered to help; we WILL be contacting you. First we have to find money. Big money. So if you have any ideas on that score, or want to start some crowd sourcing to raise the money we need, have at it.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

cheers, gg

»

Comments

If we did try raising momey

Towtle's picture

If we did try raising momey how would the people who can't get to the hq give you the money?

"SAVE THE EARTH-

It's the only place with cookies "

Cookie monster

i would keep the sidebar on

Towtle's picture

i would keep the sidebar on each page i cant ever get back to the main page!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"SAVE THE EARTH-

It's the only place with cookies "

Cookie monster

To get back to the front page, just click the logo...

gg's picture

Towtie and others,

If you wish to get back to the home page, just click the logo/masthead. The reason we are experimenting with no right sidebar on every page but the front page is to speed the page up. Use the menu items at the top toolbar.

cheers,

gg

geoff gevalt

ywp farmhand & general instigator

Is chat coming back, because

Nicole Faust's picture

Is chat coming back, because it's January?

--

bright morning stars are rising, day is breaking in my soul

i was wondering the same

Towtle's picture

i was wondering the same thing.

"SAVE THE EARTH-

It's the only place with cookies "

Cookie monster

CHATS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Towtle's picture

CHATS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"SAVE THE EARTH-

It's the only place with cookies "

Cookie monster

Yes! I just realized- when I

Nicole Faust's picture

Yes! I just realized- when I logged in it popped up. Not sure if I like it or not.. Also the site is so 'google-y' now. does anyone have the same feeling?

--

no

Towtle's picture

i dont think its gone all google i just dont like the white.

"SAVE THE EARTH-

It's the only place with cookies "

Cookie monster

re chat...

gg's picture

What do you think?

Here's our observation... there have been a lot more posts, a lot more comments without chat.

I would love to have some sort of immediate chat connection though. We are looking into how we can use it to run some workshops, to set up live mentoring, that sort of thing, yet we also know it's cool to chat with people.

We're all ears...

gg

geoff gevalt

ywp farmhand & general instigator

Well, I wasn't really sure…

Nicole Faust's picture

Well, I wasn't really sure… Before December, I rarely used chat. However, having it for 'now and then' might be nice, to ask for feedback and such. But as there have been more comments and posts without it… maybe we should keep chat away for a little longer *covers head and runs away from the angry writers who want chat back*.

--

That feel... I know it. The

doug.demaio's picture

That feel... I know it. The daggers from their avatar eyes...

We also tweet, fb, tumbl, & instagram! :)

The thing is about chat

zeusfireair's picture

is that ive had some of my absolute best story ideas stem from chat. I've had some awesome chats with people and have really connected with other writers. Even at a super-artsy school, theres not as many writers around here as I'd like. It's really nice to have other writers with similar interests to talk to in real-time. Just putting my own two cents out there.

I'm a YWP Mentor! If you have any questions, either about how the site works, or about writing in general, or you just want me to look at your work, let me know!

Exceptions

Sepheria's picture

I got to agree with Zeus on this one. Chat is sort of like a little place where we can meet eachother and commerse. When I started YWP i really didnt feel very connected to others, but chat brought me to people like me (GO WHOVIANS!) and let me develope new friendships. For the younger writers I feel that chat may be a bit overwelling with the people constantly chatting and it might seem like you cant get a word in, but the YWP community is an extrodinary one that supports eachother. When you've had a bad day then its a good place to talk to someone after writing some pretty deep angst. When you just cant find a topic, there is always a large group of people who can help. Its big and scary, but its home.

I can understand how it becomes difficult when people seemed more intent on chatting then actually writing, so I agree that there should be some rules to keep it on track. But other than that, its a great way to get your work out there and get quick feedback (Cause who has time to sit a wait for someone to comment? Nope. Thats just a waste of good writing time :P).

Now instead of calling them rules, maybe we can just call them Exceptions. Cause who want to follow a bunch of rules? Nope, i follow the exceptions. 

Reality should follow through on what I think it is going to do. -Allie Brosh

My only dissagreement is you

Towtle's picture

My only dissagreement is you don't want us to chat in comment but how else are we supposed to get and give ideas or tell people good job? But it is cool that they're are more posts... Maybe we could have a talking page... anyway try it.

"SAVE THE EARTH-

It's the only place with cookies "

Cookie monster

Giving/getting ideas and

doug.demaio's picture

Giving/getting ideas and feedback is not what we would call "chatting." Leaving meaningful feedback and engaging with someone's writing is exactly what a comment should be. We just feel that there are so many places online to chat with people or discuss things other than writing.. but we want to do everything we can to make this site as useful as possible in the aim of helping you all write better. You can always leave a comment, or send someone a message--those things seem to add to the vibrancy of the writing on the site-- whereas chatting seriously changed the focus of the site and led to less and less writing being done. It was scary to think that YWP was turning into a chat room. This community is so much more powerful than that.

What do you think the biggest benefit of the chat was? Is there a way we could incorporate that benefit without letting it distract people?

Here is my input. Do with it

pianolady's picture

Here is my input. Do with it what you will. :)

For me, chat is awesome because I can talk to people who are respectful and nice, and are interested in writing, like I am. Where I am, there aren't many people like that, and it's a huge benefit for me to be able to have friends and an immediate way to talk to them on this site.

I also feel a lot more comfortable critiquing pieces by people I've talked to, and messages just seem so formal to me. 

But I have seen that I've gotten more comments on my pieces and there's a lot more writing on the site since the chat was removed. 

For life is not a paragraph

And death, i think, is no parenthesis

Maybe there is a way that we

doug.demaio's picture

Maybe there is a way that we can have chat be turned off until someone decides to turn it on--that way no one would sign on and be distracted by the chat, but if you had something you wanted to talk about you could turn it on and see if anyone else wanted to chat. Or something like that...

Just throwing ideas around now...

Thanks for the input, I appreciate how thoughtful it is.

Personally, I think that

pianolady's picture

Personally, I think that would be a good compromise. Now you just have to figure out the coding! That should be fun! :)

Perhaps we could have chat between two to four members, like a private chat. We could do some sort of host invite thing, kind of like gmail has.

Or we could have unlimited people in the chat, but at least one of the members in the chat has to invite someone for the chat to be available to them. I don't want it to be something that could leave someone out, though. It would probably be good if only the people in the chat could see it, because that way nobody feels like "Oh, they didn't invite me, they must not like me," when they see the it.

Basically just something having the privacy of messages, but the speed of chat.

This is a puzzle! I'll keep thinking! :)

For life is not a paragraph

And death, i think, is no parenthesis

Regarding CHAT...

gg's picture

Hi guys,

So Doug and Susan and Sarah and I have been hard at work here devising a new way to integrate chat into what this community is doing.

AND WE HAVE AN ANSWER!

We will be rolling it out soon and it will be part of an exciting new idea -- groups: Spaces where you can connect with fellow writers based on your interests, writing genre, projects or.... drumroll, please... workshops with mentors and drafted professionals. We promise these will not feel like school!

It is going to take us a bit of work to do all this, and we want to roll them out for you to enjoy, so stay tuned.

cheers,

gg

geoff gevalt

ywp farmhand & general instigator

coolieo

Towtle's picture

coolieo

"SAVE THE EARTH-

It's the only place with cookies "

Cookie monster

Yeah, also about chat. That's

Oceania's picture

Yeah, also about chat. That's where I get feedback from people. Maybe there could be, instead of a chat, a list with people's names who want feedback for their work. There could be a section for your name and piece you want feedback on. Just an idea!

Good Idea

Titania's picture

That's a good idea--I know that when somebody writes on their piece (or puts it in the keyword) "I would love any feedback!" etc., I make an extra effort to critique carefully. So we could have a specific keyword that would make a place for people who really want feedback--the only problem is that, ultimately, we all want feedback on our writing, so it might get overloaded. But if we make it clear that such-and-such specific piece is what we really would like critiqued, it could work.

~Titania

An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. ~Oscar Wilde

if this doesn't destroy the

Towtle's picture

if this doesn't destroy the surprize of people mixed in this you should have a list of ywp mentors...

"SAVE THE EARTH-

It's the only place with cookies "

Cookie monster

I agree, that would be nice.

pianolady's picture

I agree, that would be nice.

For life is not a paragraph

And death, i think, is no parenthesis

definetly

Towtle's picture

definetly

"SAVE THE EARTH-

It's the only place with cookies "

Cookie monster

well if you ever need a mentor for anything,

zeusfireair's picture

Im around a lot. 

Okay, can you give me some

Oceania's picture

Okay, can you give me some feedback? On the piece called, "A Want"?

Can you look at mine too???

Towtle's picture

Can you look at mine too???

"SAVE THE EARTH-

It's the only place with cookies "

Cookie monster

Do you want me to look at any piece in particular?

zeusfireair's picture

Or just your newest piece? 

Hey all-- We heard ya, and

doug.demaio's picture

Hey all-- We heard ya, and now there's a list of our active mentors on the site, with links to their profiles.   If you hover your cursor over "tips" you'll see Mentor List in the drop down menu now. They are some of our best writers who have been with us for years, and some are adulty types who have been doing the whole writing thing longer than you (or even me!) have been alive. So feel free to drop them a message something.

And to our mentors-- Thank you so much! I know that it can be a big responsibility to have people asking for help, but you guys are great at it, and it helps you become better writers as well.

Enjoy!