Ch...Ch...Cha...Changes. What do you think?

Author tools:
gg's picture

UPDATED Jan. 24, 2014: EGADS! After 7+ years, we have changed the look! After your initial shock, what are your thoughts? Like? Not like? Please comment below or contact us any way you can!

These changes are part of a series aimed at speeding up and cleaning up the site, AND we're about to initiate a couple of cool new features!

Basic BIG changes (other than the look):

• LOG IN TO SEE MORE CONTENT
  • NEW MENTORS -- Check out the Mentor List under Tips
  • You need to navigate via the TOP TOOLBAR and its drop-down menus. 
  • The traditional right sidebar is visible ONLY after you LOG IN and ONLY on the front page.
  • And CHAT is back... for the moment. We are devising a new way to use chat that will help focus conversations around writing, projects and ideas.

We know this takes a bit of adjustment. But again you'll find everything you need at the top.

For highlights of the new setup, click READ MORE.

Highlights:

1. We have eliminated the right sidebar blocks EXCEPT on the front page and even then the old, familiar sidebar is ONLY visible after you log in. So...login!
  2. The focus of navigation in the toolbar at the top, just below the logo, so start using that to get around.
  3. Some more info on changes:
    1. READ will give you quick access to the best work -- Daily Read chosen by staff; Recommended selected by a group of you as well as mentors and staff. Published selects work by Newspaper Prompt with the top items with tan background signifying those that got published. Recent and Comments should be self-explanatory. Writers to Read lists the blogs of the most energetic and intriguing young writers on the site. (These are selected by staff on observation and recommendation of mentors and users.)
    2. PUBLISH is info about getting published with our news media partners, including newspapers, VPR and vtdigger.org
    3. CHALLENGES is where we'll have spontaneous wriitng challenges or special projects. Keep in touch with this as we will be having a lot of ideas (and feel free to make suggestions) coming your way. Small rewards and fame included. Short Writes is a fun section where you can do short writes.
    4. YWP RADIO is just what it sounds like. Check it out. And we'll be doing more with this in the coming months.
    5. TIPS are, well, tips. We will be adding to these (and fixing some of the weird links). There is a lot buried on this site from some famous writers, wonderful teachers and brilliant mentors that we want you to comb when you want to learn more about how to improve the strength of your ability to express yourselves.

FYI, we are in the throes of planning  a complete rebuild of the site. Follow that link if you have some ideas to share. We are talking to some really cool folks across the country who are going to be helping out this new community. But it is key that you are the ones who decide what gets done. We thank all of you who've so far volunteered to help; we WILL be contacting you. First we have to find money. Big money. So if you have any ideas on that score, or want to start some crowd sourcing to raise the money we need, have at it.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

cheers, gg

»

Comments

If we did try raising momey

Towtle's picture

If we did try raising momey how would the people who can't get to the hq give you the money?

"SAVE THE EARTH-

It's the only place with cookies "

Cookie monster

i would keep the sidebar on

Towtle's picture

i would keep the sidebar on each page i cant ever get back to the main page!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"SAVE THE EARTH-

It's the only place with cookies "

Cookie monster

To get back to the front page, just click the logo...

gg's picture

Towtie and others,

If you wish to get back to the home page, just click the logo/masthead. The reason we are experimenting with no right sidebar on every page but the front page is to speed the page up. Use the menu items at the top toolbar.

cheers,

gg

Is chat coming back, because

Nicole Faust's picture

Is chat coming back, because it's January?

--

bright morning stars are rising, day is breaking in my soul

i was wondering the same

Towtle's picture

i was wondering the same thing.

"SAVE THE EARTH-

It's the only place with cookies "

Cookie monster

CHATS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Towtle's picture

CHATS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"SAVE THE EARTH-

It's the only place with cookies "

Cookie monster

Yes! I just realized- when I

Nicole Faust's picture

Yes! I just realized- when I logged in it popped up. Not sure if I like it or not.. Also the site is so 'google-y' now. does anyone have the same feeling?

--

no

Towtle's picture

i dont think its gone all google i just dont like the white.

"SAVE THE EARTH-

It's the only place with cookies "

Cookie monster

re chat...

gg's picture

What do you think?

Here's our observation... there have been a lot more posts, a lot more comments without chat.

I would love to have some sort of immediate chat connection though. We are looking into how we can use it to run some workshops, to set up live mentoring, that sort of thing, yet we also know it's cool to chat with people.

We're all ears...

gg

Well, I wasn't really sure…

Nicole Faust's picture

Well, I wasn't really sure… Before December, I rarely used chat. However, having it for 'now and then' might be nice, to ask for feedback and such. But as there have been more comments and posts without it… maybe we should keep chat away for a little longer *covers head and runs away from the angry writers who want chat back*.

--