#YWPSoS. Summer of Stories!

Author tools:
gg's picture
#YWPSoS. Summer of Stories!

Summer of Stories Challenge: Write for 10 minutes as many days as you can. Just 10 little minutes. Use one of our writing ideas, today's is below or click here for others, or follow your own imagination. Just write something. Storylike. Ten little minutes. Use the S2014 tag. 

We have created prompts for every day of the summer and they are aimed to cover the major elements of good storytelling. They'll help you practice, improve, gain confidence and discover new ideas. Promise. And there's more: PRIZES (Fortune), PUBLICATION (Fame), FEEDBACK (Friendship). What could be better? June's Prize Winners. Start anytime! Really. 

updated 7.31 TODAY'S PROMPT:#34 MULTIMEDIA: Go to http://youngwritersproject.org/node/95453 This will give you an example of a simple photo story on an Elder. Your work will be in deciding what elder to do a story on, finding a compelling photo and writing a very brief story and recording it. As always, remember to tag the post S2014!

Full list of YWPSoS prompts: http://youngwritersproject.org/node/94457

OBJECT: To do a whole lot of narrative writing. We will help you write what you notice, bring out great ideas, practice the various elements of a story. We'll offer ideas, daily prompts to help you along (or you can take your own path). Our hope is that by the end of the summer you will have several stories -- and lots of small pieces of writing -- you want to polish and publish.

not so HIDDEN AGENDA: To help you find out how entertaining your narrative writing can be.

DETAILS: Write for 10 minutes a day. Miss a couple of days? Do some make up writing. You are free to write more if you want, but just 10 minutes is all it will take.

All you have to do is post something and use the S2014 tag.

TO HELP, we've got a slew of prompts in the works -- a new one each day -- prompts, live chats with YWP writers and mentors, and occasional video streams will take place in the The Storytelling Room.

Feel free to post your work to that workshop space as well. Not a member? Join! And get your friends to join! (And get those outliers to join the site!) 

Each week will be themed around a a story "element" such as setting, characters, the turn, etc. And there are different types of prompts -- The World Around You (what you notice), Photo Prompts, Sound Prompts, Word Prompts and In The Style Of ... (try your hand at imitating a writers style).

cool PERK: YWP writers and mentors will comment on EVERY piece posted with the S2014 tag.

dang it all RULES: None really except be respectful, as always.

ok here they are CRITERIA FOR PRIZES: A special award (a crisp new $100 bill [seriously]) to the Summer of Stories Challenge Writer of the Summer -- the person who has the most posts, the most consecutive days writing, most revisions, and most encouragement to other writers (especially new friends you brought along!). 

But what if I stop writing for a while? NO PROBLEM! Write in a flurry -- make up extra posts. Go back to the prompts you missed. Remember: Only 10 minutes a day! (More if you'd like, of course.)

Are you saying quanitity is more important than quality? Well, yes. But, NO! We'll have additional prizes for Summer of Stories writers: Publication! Movie passes. Large bags of M&Ms. Tickets to the next Greyhound moon flight. Gift certificates. Books. ... ALL SORTS OF THINGS!

Who determines who gets prizes? A small group of YWP staff, interns AND young writers.

STRUCTURE:

Week 1 - June 16: KICK-OFF and Setting, playing with the where and when

Week 2 - June 23: Character, protaganist -- the good gal/guy

Week 3 - June 30: Wants/Needs, what drives the story

Week 4 - July 7: Character, antagonist -- the (or part of the) obstacle

Week 5 - July 14: Design: research, structure, presentation (media) & audience 

Week 6 - July 21: Point of view, vantage point 

Week 7 - July 28: Multimedia, playing with sound & images

Week 8 - August 4: Dialogue, credible conversations

Week 9 - August 11: The Turn, the confrontation, climax; and Resolution, the changes

Week 10 - August 19: Revision, choose the best idea from the summer and go deep with it. 

Week 11 - August 26: Finish! Final edits. Finish media. Submit. Awards given. Gala, black-tie, red-carpet event at Thunder Road (just joking).

SEVERAL OTHER ELEMENTS will have prompts. Feel free to use them. 

DAILY PROMPTS: will be under these categories AND WILL BE LISTED ON THIS DOCUMENT under respective weeks:

1. What is around you: Things you notice, experience, sense (as in hear, see, touch, etc.)
  2. A photo: A picture will spawn a thousand words
  3. A sound: A sound clip to get you going
  4. Words: A git-along idea of a single word or phrase
  5. In the style of ... : A passage of beautiful writing to emulate
  6. Open Chaos: Usually weekends, but take one of your ideas a bit further. Or, whatever ...

A look at YWP's first ever video stream exercise session, warts and all. Thanks for everyone's patience. We've got it nailed for the next time!

Comments

And on this theme

Reid's picture

From Ray Bradbury in "Zen in the Art of Writing:"

"All during my early twenties I had the following schedule. On Monday morning I wrote the first draft of a new story. On Tuesday I did a second draft. On Wednesday a third. On Thursday a fourth. On Friday a fifth. And on Saturday at noon I mailed out the sixth and final draft to New York...

"If all this sounds mechanical, it wasn't. My ideas drove me to it, you see. The more I did, the more I wanted to do. You grow ravenous. You run fevers. You know exhilarations. You can't sleep at night, because your beast-creature ideas want out and turn you in your bed. It is a grand way to live."

Susan Reid

Publications Coordinator

Young Writers Project

Coolio!

Kyrridwen's picture

I think I'm going to give it a shot, but as a clarifying question we don't have a place to sign up or anything, we just post our writing to the tag, correct? (I'd go to the meeting but we have finals that week and STUDY)

---

Just keep swimming

Yep no need to sign up, you

doug.demaio's picture

Yep no need to sign up, you can just post with the S2014 tag. You can put the post into the summer workshop space as well, if you like, but that won't effect whether or not we count it. We're just gonna look at the tag, and keep tabs that way. Glad you're going to try it out. No pressure.

We also tweet, fb, tumbl, & instagram! :)

Oh, Good!

Kyrridwen's picture

Good good goodie!

Count me in, I'm up for the challenge. 

Also, I know there are going to be various times when I'm going to be away this summer at camps and such. I will still try to write daily, though I'll be unable to post. How does something like that factor in? Would we be able to make a massive poem dump at the end of such short periods of time and have it counted as daily or...?

---

Just keep swimming

You certainly can do that. We

doug.demaio's picture

You certainly can do that. We encourage that, actually. Surprisingly enough, leaving your computer and doing other things for short amounts of time can actually make you BETTER at writing.   :D

Adding to what doug said...

gg's picture

Our aim this summer is to try to coax you into writing narrative -- poetry is fine but can you tell stories within the poetry format (yes)? And we'll have all the prompts completed by the end of next week, so you can print some of them out before you go...

cheerio and good luck.

gg

geoff gevalt

ywp farmhand & general instigator

I am soooo in!

angela weasley's picture

I am soooo in!

ǟռɢɛʟǟ աɛǟֆʟɛʏ♥

Awesomeness!

Sepheria's picture

This looks fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun! *sing songy voice*

Reality should follow through on what I think it is going to do. -Allie Brosh

Sepheria

gg's picture

I think you should do a podcast of your sing songy voice! We all want to hear it.

So glad you are participating. Corral your friends to join in!

cheers,

gg

geoff gevalt

ywp farmhand & general instigator

This sounds like so much fun!

Tradys's picture

This sounds like so much fun! I have one clarifying question, though. Do all the stories written need to abide by the theme of the week? Or is that just another prompt for ideas? If I wrote an original story (without a prompt from YWP), does it still need to focus/relate to the story element for that week?  

The story elements are aimed

doug.demaio's picture

The story elements are aimed at giving you practice creating different parts of a story. The idea is that you'll be able to use some of the things you come up with, and definitely some of the skills you develop, as you create new pieces. We never discourage you from writing your own pieces, but we think you'll enjoy and benefit from doing a 10 minute chunk that applies to the theme of the week. We will take into account your other writing as well, though. I'm glad you're planning on doing so much writing this summer!

Tradys

gg's picture

Building on what Doug said, yes, go ahead and post other writing. Perhaps you could even comment and tell us what you think is strongest about the story and what you would like help with...

Our aim with the prompts is to provide some direction. We are trying something out, here, in a way. We're breaking down the act of narrative writing into its parts in an aim to help you practice doing these elements. We're hoping that by the end of the summer we'll see some amazingly powerful stories.

HOWEVER, at YWP our aim is to encourage your writing, giving you a respectful space, providing you some feedback and finding you additional audience. So we NEVER turn away material that is outside our suggested prompts. We love seeing stuff that comes from inside your brains!

cheers,

gg

geoff gevalt

ywp farmhand & general instigator

FUN

aquapup4's picture

WOW! I'm excited to start! I'm going to try to write every day, even though summer can get busy, I need me time.  YAAAAAY! Can't wait!

Nothing is impossible.

The word itself says I'm possible.

Aquapup

gg's picture

Sorry to respond a week later, but you should also know that YWP is The Only Guilt Free Project in the Galaxie. If you miss a day or several days, SO WHAT? Come back free of guilt and jump right in.

Confession: YWP is experimenting here. We want to break common assumptions, such as, "writing sucks" "i am no good at it" "i only write in school" "i can't write" "writing is pointless" "writing is for nerds" "no one reads my stuff" "i don't write during the summer" ...

To wit, our beliefs:

1. "writing is fun but many schools squeeze the joy out of it"
  2. "you can be good at writing if you knew how to do it (write about what interests you>>get feedback>>revise>>polish>>expand your audience)"
  3. "writing outside of school can be a blast"
  4. "writing is merely writing one sentence at a time, with the second sentence relating to the first and the third relating to the second and so forth... but it's finding that first sentence that can be a challenge"
  5. "writing IS for nerds and other people, too"
  6. "people DO read your stuff here -- fellow youths AND mentors, staff and pros"
  7. "why NOT write for summer when you are doing fun things that might be cool to write about."

thanks for participating and making this community so interesting, aquapup

cheers,

gg

geoff gevalt

ywp farmhand & general instigator

Hey! I really want to come to

angela weasley's picture

Hey!

I really want to come to the kick off for the summer writing project today but I would have to be late, I could come around 5:00-5:30 is that ok? 

ǟռɢɛʟǟ աɛǟֆʟɛʏ♥

You can come later on if you

doug.demaio's picture

You can come later on if you want, we'll try to get you up to speed. It's not going to be anything too formal. It is summer, after all.

Where's today's prompt?

Where's today's prompt?

Oh, this starts TODAY?

pompadora's picture

Oh, this starts TODAY?

pom-poms!

Oh, this starts TODAY?

pompadora's picture

Oh, this starts TODAY?

pom-poms!

The link isn't working for me

angela weasley's picture

The link isn't working for me :(

ǟռɢɛʟǟ աɛǟֆʟɛʏ♥

Prompt

Kyrridwen's picture

Today's prompt link does not appear to be in working order...

---

Just keep swimming

thanks for the note about the links...

gg's picture

When we first made the prompts, they were NOT checked to be public. They should all be OK now, but if not, do let us know as you did.

cheers,

gg

geoff gevalt

ywp farmhand & general instigator

Hey um I feel sort off

pompadora's picture

Hey um I feel sort off uncormfortable asking this but it's about that picture it had a swear word and it makes me uncomfortable i like the old one a lot better!

"vulgarity is no substitute for wit"

-dowton Abby 

pom-poms!

Pompadora

gg's picture

Sorry for not responding sooner, but I took your comment to heart and replaced the photo.
Thanks
g

geoff gevalt

ywp farmhand & general instigator

OK, so

Kyrridwen's picture

To whomever it may concern,

Ok, so summer camp has rolled around for me again. Which means that as of tomorrow I will not be posting for two weeks. I will still do my best to write daily, and will make a massive post dump at the end of this time. I'll take the prompts I can with me, but just a little heads up. I haven't dropped off the face of the planet, just been dropped off to a cabin in the woods. 

Thanks!

---

Just keep swimming

Thanks for letting us know.

doug.demaio's picture

Thanks for letting us know. And for using the word 'whomever.'