Thank you, thank you, thank you

What a wonderful day it was Friday as so many many people participated in VERMONT WRITES DAY!

The day was Young Writers Project's annual day of honoring writing, a day when people of all ages in Vermont (and our friends around the country) took just seven minutes (or more) to write to any of seven fun prompts, including 4Photos (above). Or they picked "General" and wrote about their own ideas. 

Many schools participated and principals, teachers, teachers' aides, visitors also jumped in. Many schools reported that their entire school participated and also took time out to share what had been written.

We could ask for nothing more to show the importance of writing and the fun of writing.

See Winter Tales this week

Snow Dawn

Waking up
To the silent sound 
Of snowflakes twirling 
To the ground.
It's barely dawn
With the sun rising 
from its chambers 
beneath the mountains,
The stars unwilling to dim 
their short-lived light.
Yet the snowflakes mirror them,
Drifting to fill the valleys
In a cold, crisp carpet.
Walking out
To the half-darkness of winter,
The beauty within the ice,
The sword within the stone.
Sensing the danger in the snow,
Yet unable to pull away
From trees that seem to glow.
No one has ever been able to resist Winter.
It's the right time for wonder.
If you're going to take a plunge into mystery,
Then waking up to snowflakes
Falling outside your window
Is, perhaps, the best way to do it. 

The Jump

The Jump
My feet crunched the snow as my thick boots led me toward the hill. It was mid-winter, a warmer day than most, and the tramping was making my forehead sweat. My friend Clementine was ahead of me, my short legs and puffy snowsuit weighing me down-and slowing me down. Finally, I reached the top of the hill. I sat down, not caring if my butt got wet or not. Mindlessly, my mittens picked up a ball of snow and packed it evenly. This was the best packing snow of the winter. It was the perfect mixture of wet and fluffy, a combination rare at least to Vermont. Judson, another friend, was thinking the same thing.

The YWP story

The Voice - Fall 2018

Final SoundCheck tonight!

YWP Events 2019

Illustration by Alexa Dally

Young Writers Project creates a community both online and in person. Throughout the year we fire up poetry slams, writing workshops and other events so that members of the Young Writers Project community can meet, have fun and explore the power of writing.

As the school year winds down now, YWP starts thinking, "What can we do next year?"

If you have any ideas for a Writing on the Roof workshop on a Saturday morning at the Karma Bird House or a Voices for Change open mic that you would like to lead, let us know! We're open to all ideas!  Contact Susan Reid at YWP: [email protected]; (802) 324-9538

Today's Tiny Write

If the whole world was blind, 
what would the word "beautiful" mean? 
Could you find it in the sound of someone's laugh,
or in the feel of running your hands through tall grass?
Would you find the meaning in the smell of flowers,
or in the warmth of the sun on your face?
I think we should all have our own definition of beauty
that isn't based off the color of irises 
or the curves of a body. 
- k.daigle

Add your tiny write to Tiny Writes, here (or in top menu under Write). See highlights here.