Roses and Summer Dreams's picture

The Really Cheap Mouthwash

Carnivals. They aren’t bad, but I feel jumbled and confused. Right away, the Jaws theme songs plays in my head and the color orange dances around in my head. Clowns. Oh great. I hate clowns. I taste mouthwash-the really cheap kind.  Usually, I like these tastes,colors and sounds to accompany the actual scenario or object. Right now though, I am losing my orange-tainted-Jaws-music mind!

Roses and Summer Dreams's picture

Oh, Spring!

April. It really is a beautiful month. Possibly my favorite. Today-75%! To think! April is also National Poetry Month. That could be another reason why I love it so much. No wonder. I suppose they chose that for a reason. Spring signifies new beginnings and most of all beauty. Poetry shares that with April. You could be someone else aside from your writing. I just can't get over spring! I love it so much! Right now I am reading Anne of Avonlea. I adore it. Anne is a beautiful writer and yet a beautiful character. Avonlea is a dream. Especially in spring. You might think it is not enjoyable-Brooklyn springs. But the thing is spring is beautiful anywhere.

Roses and Summer Dreams's picture

I Am Still Wonderful

They watch her from afar. They think she is carefree. And happy all the time. She laughs like nothing in life holds her down. Like she is a bird. But she hides her broken wing.

Her eyes always show her mood. Like a “naturally flavored dessert.” That’s what they think. (There is a tiny bit of added sugar) She has to pretend that she feels included. Or happy.

She knows that her family and friends love her. But that’s not it. She can’t love herself,her emotions or the twisted world she lives in. They don’t know.

But they might know that this is not her all the time. Not the depressed,insecure girl. That’s not all me. I am a writer, a friend and a girl with a broken wing who still will fly. Because I am loved and ready for anything that this throws at me.

Roses and Summer Dreams's picture

The Sun Sets With Tears

Her silhouette next to the sunset is the perfect image. But at the wrong time. She doesn’t speak. The only part of her that moves is her feet, slowly dragging along the dock. Alyssa follows but I pull her back.

“She needs space.” I tell her. Alyssa looks at her concerned and then sighs.

“Okay.”

She sits at the edge of the dock, wondering why this drama and heartache is attracted to her. She toys with her fingernails and her feet are tickled by the water. She tries to laugh, but the tears overpower her weak smile. The orange sun disappears into the ombre water. It looks as if she holds the very sun in her hands, but she gives it away-it is too much in this state of mind.

fiction 0 comments challenge: Lost
Roses and Summer Dreams's picture

Nightmare or Is it Real?

I wake up to a vast, open land. Or maybe I'm dreaming. Rubbing my eyes, I see nothing familiar. Where am I? Ok. I think to myself. Wake up. But, I don't. I splash myself with the cold water from the lake in front of me. I still don't wake up in my soft bed, I still am in this mystery world.

I look around. The only living thing is a sad looking tree. And me. But why? Why am I here? My mind searches for any trace of memory I had before this. In other words-how did I get here exactly? Sitting in the corner of my brain, I find one memory: the dock. I remember jumping off a  floating dock and hitting my head on something. Piece by piece, memories appear. And as I put the puzzle together, I realized that I had jumped on a floating dock, hit my head on something and landed on a floatie which carried all the way here. Thank godness for that floatie or else I wouldn't be waking up; mystery world or not. Now, how do I get back?
fiction 0 comments challenge: Woods
Roses and Summer Dreams's picture

WOAH!

Fuming, I head outside. Why did my sister have to get into this?

I step out the door and my first actual calm breath feels amazing. Nothing like the mysterious woods outside my house to cheer me up. But seriously, I have never been there. Maybe an adventure will cool me down. Or help with ideas to run away from home.
As I step into the woods, it feels lush, green and alive. Little did I know, that they actually were alive. I hear quarrelling. Maybe just my mom and my sister. But as I step closer, I realize that the voices get louder.

"Hey! Watch it!"

"I'm not the one carelessly knocking down everything, making noises for humans to hear."

"Speaking of humans, one is coming now! Shhhhhhh!"
Roses and Summer Dreams's picture

In Pieces

I don't know how long this has been happening. Days, hours or even seconds. Huddled in the basement, all of us. We all are crying softly, like if we cry louder, the storm will raise its voice too. But, Bella gets louder every time she hears our furniture getting destroyed. I am now reciting prayers in my head, and thinking about the awful time that we will step out of our basement, only to see our dear house in pieces. And most of all, I am dreading the times where I see my parents sending a check to the furniture company and the re-builders of our house. I am afraid just to see how many 0's there will be. My beating heart tells me that I need to focus on the positive. There isn't a whole lot of positive things, but one of them is that we are finally getting rid of that horrible couch.

"Jennifer!" Grandma yells."How long will this last?! And, Oh My-how long will we last?!"
Roses and Summer Dreams's picture

I am Your Friend

poem 0 comments challenge: Wordgame
Roses and Summer Dreams's picture

water

To see your reflection in the water.
But there are bubbles.
Insecurity. Depression. 
All hidden in the warm, shallow, clear water. 

To see your reflection in the water-
Beauty is shown as well.
Love for yourself.
All hidden in the cold, deep, murky water.

Not everything is what it looks to be.
Joy fills the world- 
If you ignore the exaggerated news.
And water is just the challenge
To see if you love YOU.
Roses and Summer Dreams's picture

You Know Her

I once memorized a Maya Angelou poem,
I was so happy, I couldn’t speak,

And that’s when I thought
I had arrived: my writer’s peak,

I looked at her and
knew there was more to seek

She loved me,
but she was out of my reach,

Dear Maya,
why did you have to leave?