Recent Comments

• Reply to: Night + Light   Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 7:26pm
    Comment Author:

Thank you, I really appreciate that!

• Reply to: The RMS Titanic   Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 5:32pm

Thank you so much!

• Reply to: The RMS Titanic   Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 5:28pm
    Comment Author:

I like how you used personification to make the poem come alive. Nice job!

• Reply to: Blue Eyes   Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 4:36pm
    Comment Author:

If you have more add it! I love this so far though.

• Reply to: Path through the Woods   Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 3:46pm
    Comment Author:

Thank you! Glad you liked it!

• Reply to: Breathless   Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 3:43pm
    Comment Author:

I really like the details you included in your poem that make me feel like I'm standing right in it. My favorite part was probably "the raw purity of human pain". Nice job!

• Reply to: Path through the Woods   Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 3:37pm
    Comment Author:

I love the message of this poem! It is beautifully written and enjoying to read.

• Reply to: death of belief   Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 9:32am

Jeff,

Quella here, one of the YWP mentors. I love this poem! Your descriptions are so vivid and the story you tell has so much power. I love the imagery of Santa becoming soot as the child stops believing. That's such a melancholy yet powerful image.

I think this is also a really relatable and beautiful way to think about belief--it's not just about whether the thing you're believing in is real, per say, it's also about the people believing in it. The magic thing and the believer work together to create the magic!

Another thing I love is the way you broke up the lines in your poem. That can be a really powerful tool for writers to use, and you used it really well here! The short lines keep the poem easy to read but also a bit dramatic, which I think works really beautifully.

This idea that you're talking about reminds me of how people think about magic and wonder in the world too, even outside of believing in magical beings. Many people don't see the beauty and magic in the world--in incredible things like snowflakes and sunrises and the way trees grow--and so the world loses it's magic for those people. Here, you do a a beautiful job showing that magic exists, but IF you don't believe, it won't exist for YOU. And that feels like a really powerful truth. Well done!!

Be well, be bright.
    Q

• Reply to: call it like it is   Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 9:17am

Hi PDXmarvel,

This is Quella, one of the YWP mentors. I love this piece! The way you divided up the stanzas works so well with the flow of the poem and feels really authentic, almost like a stream of consciousness.

I also love the last line (and corresponding title). It sort of leaves the reader guessing a little... It made me wonder, would "calling it like it is" be calling it just a friendship, or calling it something more because that's the way YOU might feel? Maybe you intended it to be one way or the other, but I really like how it could go either way. Most of the rest of the poem feels pretty concrete and straightforward, so having that little twist of uncertainty adds a really nice contrast. Well done!

Be well, be bright.
    Olivia

• Reply to: Great [email protected]   Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 9:10am

-The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera
    -Upstream, Mary Oliver
    -Long Life, Honey in the Heart, Martin Prechtel
    -Song of Soloman, Toni Morrison

• Reply to: Great [email protected]   Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 9:08am
    Comment Author:

I lOVE the Alchemist! Such a good one.

• Reply to: Alive?   Monday, December 17, 2018 - 8:24pm

Hi Quella!
    I mean in the timeline part that my life gets very repetitive sometimes, and it's good and often necessary to find ways to mix it up a little.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

-Love to Write

• Reply to: La Luna   Monday, December 17, 2018 - 7:54pm
    Comment Author:

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS! I love you word choice throughout the piece and where it ended up!!

• Reply to: Overrun By Books   Monday, December 17, 2018 - 7:10pm
    Comment Author:

I am so glad my words mean something to you! Thank you so much for the kind words!

• Reply to: the journey of a girl   Monday, December 17, 2018 - 6:36pm
    Comment Author:

Once there was a girl who read
    Another girl's story and loved it
    For it could have been her own.

Seriously, I loved this so much!! You know the feeling when someone else puts something you feel into words more perfectly than you ever could? That's how I felt when I read "reckognizing
    that words were more her blood
    that anything that had ever run through her veins" and "reckognized that magic was just the things we do not yet understand
    but now she was on a mission to understand them." Thank you for writing and sharing!!!!

• Reply to: Crisp of Winter   Monday, December 17, 2018 - 6:17pm
    Comment Author:

This is so nostalgic and I love the last sentence "I swear you can almost smell it all year long".

• Reply to: Loss of Innocence   Monday, December 17, 2018 - 6:14pm

Thank you!

• Reply to: Loss of Innocence   Monday, December 17, 2018 - 6:13pm

Thank you so much!

• Reply to: maybe not   Monday, December 17, 2018 - 5:52pm
    Comment Author:

I'm not sure what it was about the last three words being on separate lines, but it just GOT me. A teacher I once had said that the end of a poem should be like a door clicking closed, and you did just that. Nice work!

• Reply to: Overrun By Books   Monday, December 17, 2018 - 5:48pm
    Comment Author:

I cried every time I read this.
    And I'm not just saying that to quote you.
    Keep striving for that life, every day, and I know you'll get there. In fact, you already have--you just told a story of your life worth reading and it had an impact on at least one person. Thank you.

• Reply to: Kindred Soul   Monday, December 17, 2018 - 5:03pm

Thank you!

• Reply to: Enough   Monday, December 17, 2018 - 2:17pm
    Comment Author:

Thank you for all the positive feedback and I really appreciate the spelling comments because sometimes I don't see them till weeks after it's been posted.

• Reply to: Alive?   Monday, December 17, 2018 - 11:00am

Hi Love to write!

Quella here, one of the YWP mentors. This is pretty epic. It rings with a lot of emotion and wisdom and authenticity, however melancholy.

I thought it was really interesting how you said "escaping repeated timeliness". What a cool choice of words. I would have expected you to say, "escaping time" or something of the like, but your word choice really seems to fit. May I ask what you mean by that and why you chose those words?

I also love the description of having pieces of yourself in a bag in your closet. I think a lot of people feel that way about a number of things, and so your description, although it's specific, rings with a sort of truth that is easy to connect to. It's also a great visual--the idea that we are more than ourselves, that we keep pieces of ourselves in other places, other people, hidden, lost, etc. Just the few lines you wrote inspired my thoughts to jump down a rabbit hole of other imaginings, which I thank you for. There is another example of that same thing-- You're poem is more than your poem! It's also a portal for readers to travel into.
    Keep writing.

Be well, be bright!
    Q

• Reply to: La Luna   Monday, December 17, 2018 - 10:47am

Hi Lila,

This is Quella, one of the YWP mentors. Wow. This is so freaking powerful! I absolutely love the rhythm of the first two lines, and was a bit confused when I felt that rhythm change, but in retrospect, the shift works with the poem. I also love the quote at the end.

You do a great job here of inspiring curiosity in readers (at least in me!) while also leaving us with a sense of calm, as if what you've told us is exactly what we need to know. This paradox resembles a lot of wisdom, in the sense that a lot of things are like that--we want to know more, but we know that we either already know on some level, or don't need to.

Anyway, well done. What is the significance of the title of this? Is that a nickname for the person you're talking about, or are you talking about the moon herself? (Just my curiosity. :)

Be well, be bright.
    Q

• Reply to: Deep Blue Sea   Monday, December 17, 2018 - 10:40am

Hi Wells,

This is Quella, one of the YWP mentors. Wow. This poem packs a punch! Is it about an ocean creature eating some kind of plastic or trash?

Telling that story from the perspective of an unsuspecting creature is so powerful. Sometimes when you're telling a story (even in a poem), choosing what perspective to speak from is vitally important. For example, if you were telling this story from the perspective of the trash or even a human onlooker, it might not be as powerful.

But, here, you used the innocence of the creature to convey the heartbreaking reality of the story of pollution, showing readers a perspective they might not see often when hearing about the issue. That is one of the super powers of creative writing, and you nailed it here! Well done.

Be bright,