So many opportunities!

From Young Writers Project's office on the shores of beautiful Lake Champlain, we launch many young writers and artists. With YWP, your work is published in an array of publications and platforms, including our annual anthology; our digital magazine, The Voice; in Vermont newspapers; as a "Daily Read" on the front page of our site; on public radio, vpr.net; the Vermont news website, VtDigger.org; and on the site, medium.com.

Where We Publish

youngwritersproject.org

First stop: Your blog on youngwritersproject.org.
If your piece gets noticed, it might appear in our Recommended reading or be featured as a Daily Read on our front page! 
The Voice

Our digital magazine showcases the best writing and art from youngwritersproject.org and has cool features such as Writer of the Month, a gallery of photography, writing tips and more.
Click here to go directly to The Voice.
Anthologies

Young Writers Project has published nine anthologies, an annual collection of the top writing and art submitted to youngwritersproject.org in one beautiful book.
Upon publication, YWP holds a book launch to honor the published authors and artists.
Interested in buying a copy? $10 if you stop by and pick one up at our office, 47 Maple Street, Suite #216 or $15 for a mailed copy.
Contact Susan Reid: [email protected]; (802) 324-9538
Newspapers

Young Writers Project started as a feature in The Burlington Free Press, and we continue to publish a page of YWP writers and photographers in the Free Press, Vermont's largest newspaper, each week. We also publish weekly in the Valley News, covering central Vermont and New Hampshire, and we have monthly newspaper pages of local writers and artists around Vermont, including in the Rutland Herald (and Rutland Reader), the Times Argus (and Times Argus Extra), the St. Albans Messenger, the Brattleboro Reformer, the Charlotte News, the Bradford Journal Opinion and the Hinesburg Record.
Public Radio

Each week, a Young Writers Project writer is featured on Vermont Public Radio. Text and audio of the piece, a short introduction to the writer and an accompanying illustration appear on vpr.net.
VPR also announces the YWP writer of the week, usually in the morning and evening drive times.
VtDigger.org

VtDigger.org, an independent news organization covering Vermont, publishes a YWP featured writer every week, with text, audio and an illustration. 

The Crow on medium.com

The Crow is Young Writers Project's digital mag on medium.com. We send YWP's best writing and photography to this attractive and innovative site each week.
Young Writers Project is a strong supporter of publishing in as many places, with as many partners, as possible!

Steps to Getting Published

When you go to youngwritersproject.org and click on JOIN, you are taking the first step to becoming published. Read below for all the details...

How to Post Work

Go to youngwritersproject.org and click the JOIN button, upper right. Fill out all the information accurately and choose a user name that does not closely resemble your real name. (Make sure you like it; this will forever be your identifier on the site.) You'll receive an email notifying you that you've been approved. It might take a day or so. If you're under 13, click here for a parental permission form.

Now that you have an account, log in, double click WRITE at the top of the page, or hover over WRITE and select "create a blog post" from the drop-down menu.

Now, fill out the form. A red asterisk marks required fields. Choose a category to file your piece under (you can select multiple by holding shift while you click), pick a title and write! You can write directly in the body or paste in text. Add images, audio or other media embed with the image icon in the formatting toolbar. If you are writing in response to a challenge, choose the prompt you're writing to from the drop-down list in the top right. If you're going freestyle and not writing to a challenge, ignore this list.

You can also submit by going directly to Weekly Challenges. Select a challenge, click the WRITE button under the challenge description, and a blog post form will pop up, including the name of the challenge. You'll see other responses here; if not, be the first! You can also click on the challenge headline to see all responses to the prompt.

Along with the weekly challenges, we also have fun pop-up challenges that might bounce off the news or just be an idea-generator. But feel free to post anything, anytime.

All posts are automatically considered for publication unless you specify "no" at the bottom of the post. Teachers: If you're posting for your students, please fill out the box for the student or "author" name.

Remember to SAVE!
Comments/Feedback

You and your fellow writers and artists can share your feedback -- or comments -- on each other's work.

Go to the Comment box beside each post to share your thoughts about the piece. Read what others have said and engage in a discussion.

Feedback -- the giving and receiving of comments -- is a BIG part of the YWP community. It's fun and rewarding. Please keep your comments civil. You might talk about specific things you noticed about the piece or  suggest a next step. You might just want to say Well done!
How We Select for Publication
A team of editors -- YWP staff, community leaders and mentors -- reviews every piece of writing and art that is submitted to youngwritersproject.org. We look for fresh voice, interesting perspectives, humor, wisdom -- and GREAT STORYTELLING!

You will get a notification if a comment is left on your piece. The editor may also annotate the piece, meaning he or she will leave specific suggestions within the body of your post that only you can see (which will appear as yellow highlights on your post). Annotations help you make very specific improvements to those pieces that YWP readers think have potential for publication or presentation (slams). Everyone deserves a good editor, and that's where the YWP team comes in. Work with us! We want you to be proud! 

Work that is "loved" by others (click on “love this,” lower right corner of blog posts) has a quicker path to publication. It is elevated to the Recommended list. Staff and mentors cull this list daily to select best pieces for publication. Also, check out the Daily Reads, what's been Published with our various media partners -- and specifically what made it into YWP's showcase, our monthly digital magazine, The Voice.

(Read and hear what YWP writers say about being published.)

Contact Us

Questions about Publication? Contact Susan Reid, YWP Executive Director: [email protected]; (802) 324-9538