Relocation

6 am- I get up, grab my suitcase, and head to the Burlington airport. On the plane, I write emails, texts, and make phone calls to my friends and family. The last text is to my brother, who is coming with me to space, but has his own plans for today. “See you later,” I quickly tap onto my phone.
8 am- I land in Naples, Florida. I stop by my Nana and Grandpa's house to say goodbye. I give their dog Zoey one last pet. They ask me endless questions about every detail about the trip, but I only give them the basic rundown because I have lots to do on my last day on earth.“ A few families are being sent into space to start our own colony. We were one of the few picked and the experiment will hopefully change the way we live in the future,” I tell them. They wish me luck and send me off with a hug and a plate of cookies. On the way out of their neighborhood, I go down the waterslide in the pool before getting out to call the private jet company. Fancy, right?
9 am- I take a cab to the closest landing strip and I’m off to Greece. The plane has drinks, food and a dance floor, and that's when I realize I need a friend with me. I ask the pilot to take a pit stop in Vermont to pick up my best friend Elizabeth. I quickly call her and tell her to get ready for an adventure.
10 to 11 am- We’re back on track to Greece with 2 extra passengers - Elizabeth, and her dog Penny.  Elizabeth is chatting about all the things we must do, and Penny wags her tail in agreement. Then, the pilot announces we’re about to land. Perfect timing!! It's almost 12 so we're just in time for lunch.
12 pm- As we step out of the plane onto the landing strip, we both deeply inhale. The air smells different - kind of salty and warm with a refreshing breeze. The landing strip is at the top of a hill,and we’re looking down into a colorful city and a clear ocean. Elizabeth and I make eye contact and smile. We grab our wallets and ditch our bags. We won’t need anything here. 
We walk down the hill to a quieter part of the city with cobblestone streets. A man on a motorcycle is coming towards us and I yell to him to stop. “Excuse me, sir. But tomorrow we’re being sent to the moon for a space colony experiment. Would you mind giving us a ride to your favorite place to eat?” He lets us climb on with him and we put Penny in the sidecar. No need for helmets today. It’s our last day on Earth!
1 pm-  After thanking the man and paying him, we walk up to the restaurant. It's a small cafe with delicious smells of baking bread coming from inside. We order some yummy looking pastries and two coffees and we’re off. No time to sit down! We walk down a street with some stores and go inside a pretty boutique with bright blue trim. We pay for 2 bathing suits and a treat for Penny that they have by the cash register. 
3 pm- We arrive at a beach and find two chairs. The water is a clear bright blue and the sand is pinkish white. Penny lays in the sand with a piece of driftwood to chew on and we lay down in the sun to relax. 

“Are you excited about tomorrow?” Elizabeth asks. 

“Yeah, I’m so excited to see our new planet, even though it’s going to be a lot of work.” “Yeah, I agree,” says Elizabeth. “Though I will miss my doggo.”
5 pm- We wave over a waiter and order 2 dishes of pasta and 2 lemonades. While we’re waiting, we go for a swim in the ocean. The sun is starting to set and I’m happy that I chose to come to Greece for my last day. 
6 pm- As we slowly walk up the hill, back to the landing strip we take in the sights, knowing we might not ever see it again. We get onto the plane one by one. Elizabeth and then me and then Penny. I shut the door behind us and we’re off.

otterbotter

More by otterbotter